Saturday, February 20, 2010

the Shield #6 - DC

I think that I like this book more and more every month. First of all . . this month, Marco Rudy's pencils, to me, remind me a lot of JH William III's style when he did Promethea. Not exactly, but . . the way he laid out his pages kind of had the same feel to it. I liked it a lot. Then, I really like the approach that Eric S Trautmann is taking with this character. He's not really trying to make him out to be a 'super-hero'. He's a soldier, who happens to wear a very colorful outfit. And if people see him as a 'super-hero', well . . 'The warsuit's suite of combat programming, defensive technology, and comms gear aren't it's only advantages. One look at the suit, and everyone . . including my opponents . . thinks 'super-hero'. But they're wrong. It's not a costume. Or a uniform. It's a weapon. And there's nothing tougher to beat than an American soldier with a weapon.' This issue we're still wrapping up the Nazi attack in Brazil. The Great Ten are involved, and the Shield has been instructed to not only take out the Nazi soldiers, but also to not let their technology fall into the Chinese hero's hands. And . . he has to do all of this while trying not to piss off the August General. But with the help of the Jaguar, he does destroy the Nazi base, before the Great Ten can get there. But whomever was running this operation has gotten away. At least I assume so. This guy seems to be one of those villains that's going to be popping up over and over again. All in all, I thought it was a great story. I like that this is a war book, and not a 'super-hero' book. Even though that's what he looks like. And Eric seems to be doing a fantastic job with this genre. I'm interested to see some more of his interactions with established DC characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment