Saturday, February 20, 2010

Secret Six #18 - DC

I think Amanda Waller and the Suicide Squad are a fantastic set of characters. I just don't see why we can't have a Suicide Squad book on the shelves also. Although, these 2 titles are similar . . the circumstances of their situations and missions are quite different. Plus with the Secret Six, they can define their own morality rather than having it chosen, or shoved down their throats, by Amanda over on the Squad. But, having said that, we do find out at the end of this issue that Amanda . . she's actually Mockingbird. You know . . the mysterious person that brought this group together, and gives it it's missions. But I don't think that she exerts the type, or measure, of control here that she does with the Squad. Anyways, this whole crossover thing has been because she wanted Deadshot back in her group. It seems that she felt that the Squad had lost a little of it's edge with his departure. So she decided that she wanted to bring him back in. And that's why she's put the Secret Six through hell. Although . . it didn't help that all of this happened during Blackest Night and both groups were attacked by the Black Lanterns. We do learn a couple of secret though, this issue. Back at Belle Reve . . the reason there were so many Black Lanterns available, is because Amanda has a secret section where she experiments and dissects deceased villains and heroes. Plus we learn about her Mockingbird secret. The issue ends with Deadshot shooting Amanda, near the heart, when she asks him to come back with her group. 'Be honest. Plenty of you been wanting to do something like that yourselves. And I owed her a bullet for what she pulled with me. This is over. Waller comes at us again . . I shoot her in the head. I see any of you approaching any of us . . I shoot you in the head. No further warning. Just dead. Get the f#$% out of here and take your team of lapdogs with you.' I absolutely love the way Gail Simone handles these characters. Of course she had some help from John Ostrander with this story-arc. He is the Suicide Squad expert afterall. J Calafiore does the art. All in all I thought this was a thrilling story-line. I can't wait to get back to the Six . . or Seven, next issue. But . . I really liked this one. It was the perfect team-up. Both in terms of characters and creative talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment