Saturday, February 20, 2010

Gen13 #34 - WildStorm

This issue we see the effects of what's going on in London from one of the foot-soldier's point-of-view. Runt has been left behind. He's one of the Gen14's that hooked up recently with their cousins the Gen 13s. And, having recently come to London, but having not made it aboard the Carrier . . he's left in the midst of the chaos ensuing around it's departure. He's essentially become a soldier in a war that he has no idea why he's fighting in. And the only thought that keeps running through his head is . . 'I don't want to die.' Then he happens to run into Diva, previously of StormWatch. They end up forming a friendship, out of necessity. And of course . . Runt thinks he's in love with her. Anyways, they're all sorted and sent to one of the icecaps. That's where the terraforming engines are, so they've been sent there to destroy them. But then they're brought into a mission together by Brass. He wants Runt to distract the Kherans while Brass and Diva destroy the building that's supplying the force field around the engines. I'm a little confused about what happened to Brass, but he does get off a shot that disables the force fields. However, it' repairable. So with Diva being heavily attacked, it's up to Runt to finish the job. Which he does, although he's hurt, but . . Diva is hurt more. She appears to be on the brink of death. So now Runt has a reason for fighting. 'I'm going out there and try and do a little more for you. And if I live, I'm going to tell everyone what you did . . you. Isabella. Not Diva. I'm going to do whatever I can.' I wasn't sure as I was reading this story, but . . I liked the progression of Runt's character through it. He was basically fighting out of necessity, in the beginning. But by the end he had found his reason for trying harder . . to be his best. He found his cause. Even if it wasn't why everyone else was fighting, it's what pushed and motivated him. Because of this transformation, I thought Adam Beechen did a great job of guiding him, and us, through it. I also liked Cruddie Torian's pencils. They kind of had an early J Scott Campbell type of feel to them. You can definitely tell that he was an influence. However . . I am wondering what the future holds for Gen13. I mean . . they're split up right now, all over the place. I'm not sure how this title can have a future. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment