Wednesday, February 10, 2010

the Question #37 - DC

I was a huge fan of the original Question title. I thought it was a great book, and definitely ahead of it's time. With Dennis O'Neil and Denys Cowan doing this issue . . I felt like I was right back into it again. Greg Rucka helps Dennis out, and Bill Sienkiewicz' inks over Denys' pencils were absolutely incredible. This is a team that should get together again. Their individual styles definitely mesh well together. Anyways, the Black Ring has come to their little corner of the world and brought Charlie back. It also brings Shiva back. She says she's here to test Renee, but . . it turns out that she suspected that Charlie would return and she wanted to test her mettle against one of these Black Lanterns. Like Renee says . .'Girl, you are 10 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag.' I thought it was interesting that Charlie tries to appeal to their emotions, but all of them . . Shiva, Renee, Tot . . pretty much dismiss him right away. None of them are fooled into thinking this is actually Charlie. The problem is . . Tot sees this as an opportunity to get some of the questions about life & death answered. He sees it as an educational opportunity that he'll never ever get again. So while Shiva and Renee are trying to stop him . . Tot ends up shooting Shiva so that he can ask Charlie some questions. It isn't until they're up close and personal that he realizes that he's never going to get the answers he's looking for. It looks like they're all pretty well screwed until Shiva realizes that if they put Charlie out of their mind . . put everything out of their mind, and allow themselves to feel nothing . . they'll effectively make themselves invisible to Charlie emotional perception. Shiva does it pretty easily. It takes Renee a little bit longer. But Tot's the one that actually has to say goodbye to Charlie before he's able to do it. I thought that was a pretty touching moment. Anyways, in the end Renee decides that since that 'thing' is still out there . . she has to make it her mission to stop it. Personally . . I thought it was a great issue. Like I said, I loved the book and this issue seemed like a natural extension of it. I thought everyone did a great job and handled the characters perfectly. I really liked Charlie's character, but . . I'm thrilled that Renee is the Question now. She's got a lot of potential, and I think she can bring a lot to this character. The future is wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment