Saturday, February 27, 2010

Superman / Batman #69 - DC

This storyline actually takes place quite a while ago . . immediately following the Our World's at War storyline. It's so old, Lex is still the President during this story-line. I don't know if you even remember but Nrg-X came after Clark by blowing up an entire floor of the Daily Planet building. Well this issue happens immediately following that event. Nrg-X is being paid to take out Clark, but he won't give up who's assigned the deed. But that doesn't even seem to be the real story. Last issue, Clark met Anderson Gaines. He's the philanthropist that back's STAR Labs. But he's usually a recluse. Clark is at STAR interviewing it's director when Anderson shows up. So now this issue . . Anderson shows up in Gotham at a fundraiser which Bruce Wayne is attending. Bruce, however is skeptical enough that the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. After a brief conversation, Anderson has to quickly depart, but Bruce has enough foresight to shake his hand. It seems polite, but really . . he just wants a skin sample. He wants to play out a hunch. Obviously there's a connection between Anderson and Nrg-X, but . . we don't know what it is yet. Anyways, Bruce uses the satellite's computers to figure out that Anderson is actually a Durlan. They don't know it, but his ship is hidden on the dark side of the moon. And maybe it's just me, but I think that Anderson looks like a young RJ Brande. Maybe I'm just making the Durlan connection, but . . I can see the resemblance. So apparently this Durlan is after Superman, the last remaining Kryptonian . . at the time . . because of a millennia old war between them and the Durlans. So . . despite the timing of the story . . so long after the end of Our Worlds at War, I still thought it was a pretty interesting book. I thought Joe Casey did a pretty decent job with what he had to work with. But the real star of this book is Adrian Syaf. The first time I noticed him was when he did the Blackest Night: Batman mini-series. I thought he did a pretty decent job there, but now? Now his work is even better. This guy has a lot of talent. I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of him. So overall, I thought it was a good book. I'm interested to see how all of this stuff is connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment