Saturday, February 27, 2010

Human Target #1 - DC

I really wasn't planning on buying this book. I try to avoid comic-book adaptations of TV shows or movies. While I enjoy their attempts at honoring their counterparts . . they always seem to fall kind of short for me. And this one . . a TV adaptation of a comic book character that's been around for almost 40 years . . and then re-adapted back into it's original form, but based on the TV adaptation . . this one just seems a little to oblique even for my curiosity. But . . then the sciences of modern times caught up with me. Specifically . . E-bay. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and I'm no longer buying variant covers from my local comic shop. The problem I have is . . even though I get a discount, you can still find them selling for half the price or even less. It just doesn't make sense for me to spend the money on something that I can pay half the price for if I take a little time and look around. But . . there's a catch. If you find something cheaper but have to pay $5 to $8 for shipping . . overall you don't save much money. So, I try to look at sellers who have more than 1 item listed that interests me. When you combine shipping, and spread it out over 5 or 6 items, the purchase becomes economical . . again. But again, the problem is . . if they don't have other things I'm interested in . . I end up buying more things to alleviate the shipping costs . . things that I wouldn't necessarily have bought. So, in the end, if I do that . . I'm not really saving money. It really is a vicious circle. Anyways, the point of all of this is . . I wasn't planning on buying this book. However, with one of my recent purchases, the seller had this book, the variant cover, for sale and I ended up getting it for 99 cents. Even with something I wouldn't normally buy, in this day and age . . 99 cents is just a deal that's to good to pass up. So . . I don't know if you know, or even care, but this character was created by Len Wein and Carmine Infantino back in 1972. Ever since, he pops up here and there around the DC Universe. Both Christopher Chance, and Len Wein. I only bring this up because we're fortunate enough to have Len providing the story for this series. Len's a great writer and he's been around DC for quite a while. In this story, Christopher is hired by the US Government because they have a mob informant that they want to make sure makes it to Washing ton DC to testify. However, as expected, there's a couple of problems. First of all, the informant is one of the last of the old Mafia Dons, Angelo Morelli. It seems that he has some form of terminal cancer and wants to make peace with God before he goes. So he's willing to provide the Government with all the information he has on the group that he's spent a lifetime building. To me . . that alone is suspect. Next, they have to extract him from his compound in Italy, through all of his security, so that they can return him to Washington. A pretty daunting task already. However there's another wrinkle . . once Christopher gets his hands on Angelo, he finds out that he's got all the information hidden in secret caches all over the world. So, this issue they start out in Paris. I wasn't really sure how this series was going to play out, but it looks like this story will take up the entire series. However, they are providing some short back-up stories in each issue to give us a little more insight into Chance's character. Len and Bruno Redondo bring us the main story, while Peter Johnson and Chris Sprouse are the creative talent behind the back-up. So far I've really enjoyed the TV series. It's action packed and exciting. However, to me, this book just seemed like a watered down version of that. It was interesting and entertaining, but . . it lacked the visual stimuli of the TV show. I'm sorry, but . . that made a big difference. I'm not sure if I'll continue buying this one. It was interesting. I just don't know that it's worth the $3 cover charge. But . . I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment