Monday, December 24, 2007

Wolverine Origins #19 - Marvel


This is another chapter in the story of Wolverine and Captain America, in Africa, during World War II. At this point in the story, it feels like Logan and Bucky are both vying for Cap's approval. Although I think it's for different reasons. Also Bucky, who isn't nearly as childish or naive as he was originally depicted in those war books all those years ago, is on his own agenda. Right now, that is to take out Baron Von Strucker. I think their plan is to take out Hydra before it gets to strong. At this point in history, it really is right at it's beginning formation. Bucky puts himself in a position to do that personally. I like some of the little nuance's that Daniel Way puts in his stories. One is that at this point in time, Bucky actually has a higher clearance level than Fury. Of course Nick is actually only a Sergeant here. It's kind of weird to see him in this diminished role. Obviously he had to go through the ranks to get to where he is now, but he just seems like the type of person that always had that type of power. Also it seems that although Logan and Bucky are following Cap, the two of them actually have clearer plans, or maybe more precise orders. It seems like Cap is reacting more to the situations that he's being put in to. It seems like he's probably been given the overall objective, but not necessarily all the details about the wet-work that is necessary to achieve them. I think at this point, he truly is supposed to be like their shield, and inspiration. The driving force, if you will. I think that Logan, being who he is, knows who Bucky is. He also knows who Cap isn't. He has the deepest respect for him, but he knows he's not a killer. And I think that that's where his anger with Bucky comes from . . . he knows who Bucky is, and that he's using Cap to achieve his goals. But I don't think that Logan realizes that Bucky also has a deep respect for Cap. And really, he's just doing what he's been ordered to do. I'm sure that he would love to do things Caps way, but he also knows that more times than not, the guerrilla tactics are more effective. We also find out, at the end of this issue, that because of Logan's loyalties, that he's going to have to betray his new protege. "Obviously, i didn't kill Cap or Bucky . . . but what I did instead damned 'em both, just the same. An' it didn't do me any favors, either." There's a couple of reasons I like this book so much. First Logan is a great character. And with this series, we're learning and seeing things about him we never knew before. Also, I really enjoy Daniel's stories, and I think this is some of the best work I've seen, ever, from Steve Dillon. But what I really like . . . is that is makes me think this much. Obviously . . from all my dialogue. But, I think, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment