Monday, December 31, 2007

Ultimate X-Men #88 - Marvel


Again, I'm sorry. I have to start off this review with an apology. I love the X-Men. This book in particular . . this title . . is actually . . ok. There's lot's of stuff going on. We got Cable, Bishop, the Fenris Twins, the coming of Apocalypse and with this issue, a glimpse of the Phoenix. There's also romance abounding. Bishop has let it slip that he and Betsy are husband and wife in the future. Of course he's about 40 years older than her now. Beast is back, so the romance between him and Ororo is being rekindled. Scott and Jean are going at it, as they have in every incarnation. And Cyclops is dating Jean-Paul. There's also Sentinels to worry about, the Hellfire Club and, as I said, our first glimpse, in the Ultimate Universe, of the Phoenix. But, even with all of this minutia, I still find this particular series . . . boring. I really think it's because I've been reading the X-Men for so long. So all the stuff that's going on here seems . . . familiar. Almost like it's rehashing all the old storylines. Yes, there's a few differences here and there. But honestly, it's all pretty much the same. Yanick Paquette gets some new inkers this issue, so his work is actually . . improved. Honestly, I just think that Robert Kirkman is trying to hard to stay true to the original. This is the Ultimate Universe. You can do anything. You can try anything. But, in this series, we get the "same 'ol, same 'ol". Like I said, it's just boring . . and frustrating. I expect more from this book. Again I apologize. But, even X-Men books aren't always perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment