Monday, December 24, 2007

Ultimate Vision #5 - Marvel


They finally put out the final issue of this title. It only took them a year to do a 5 issue mini . . . . . but . . . it seems like that's been happening a lot on the Marvel schedule lately. I'm really not trying to rag on them . . . it's just . . . there seems to be numerous titles behind schedule right now. From a retailer's perspective, I'm sure it's very aggravating. I know the guy I go to, who is already struggling to keep him market share with the holidays and rising gas prices, would like to keep his regulars coming in . . . well . . . regularly. I'm sure that's easier to do when your favorite titles come out on a consistent basis. I'm not sure that Ultimate Vision is anybodies favorite comic. But, it's a symptom of an already struggling retail sector. And when it's in everybody's best interest to try to make the medium stronger and more marketable, we have to look at all the symptoms. I'm only saying this because I would like to see my guy stay in business. He's a good guy and he treats me fair. I do what I can for him, by giving him my business on a consistent basis . . . but . . . I'm only one person. I'm sure that my purchases don't come close to making a dent in his burgeoning Diamond bill. So I guess what I'd really like to say here is . . . find your favorite shop, or shop owner . . and be loyal to them. It's a two-way street, so make sure it's someone that appreciates your business and treats you right. But, once you find that, give them your business. I don't care if you only buy 1 title a month. The shop-owners are the foundation of this medium. Without them we'd be paying full retail at wherever we could find the books. With no pulls or personalization. Tell me you don't love stopping in and talking to your guy once or twice a week! If you don't . . . then you're going to the wrong shop. Find one that suits you . . . and frequent it. Anyways, stepping down from my soapbox now . . . despite the infrequency in publication, I still enjoyed this book. Of course Brandon Peterson's art helped that a lot. Visually this book was stunning. And, as always, Mike Carey turns in a top-notch story. Vision and Falcon take out the Gah Lak Tus module, and also put a crimp in Dr. Tarleton's plans. But, since he's mostly cyborg now, it's going to be hard to put him truly out of action. And the poor little plastic girl, Dima, made the ultimate sacrifice. But, I don't know if you'd truly call it a sacrifice if she didn't really have a choice. It's what she was made for after all. The only problem now is, the module is in Fury's hands. You just know that's going to blow up in their face. And, because of the damage she sustained, it looks like the Vision is going to be around the Ultimate universe for a little while. She's temporarily grounded. It'll be interesting to see where she pops up. Like I said, despite the scheduling, it really was an enjoyable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment