Monday, December 31, 2007

infinity inc. #4 - DC


I have to say, I'm a little worried about the future of this book. I only feel this way because I like this cast of characters, and I'd really like to see it succeed. But, I think it has a couple of things working against it. The most obvious, is the art. This Max Fiumara seems to have a good sense of action, and flow. He uses perspective and shadows pretty adeptly also. But, in probably 90% of his frames, there's no background, therefore, there's no point of reference for the action. It's just a lot of human figures drawn in neat poses. When he does do backgrounds, it works, because you get a better sense of where the characters are at, and it set's the stage and the mood. Such as when John Henry is in Steelworks talking to Mercy. She wants to join the team, and I really think John Henry is considering it, but, he's having a hard time letting go of her previous ties to Luthor. And, he's more than suspicious about her motives. The dark gloomy setting of the factory help to set the tone for this conversation. But, as I said, most of the book he doesn't do that. Secondly is the story. Don't get me wrong, Peter Milligan is a fantastic talent. But, right now, he's trying to set up the tone and motivation for the book, plus he's trying to get us acclimated with all the characters and their problems. Really, the only problem I have is that it seems to be dragging out. I'm willing to stick around for the finished result, but I don't know how many other readers will be. And finally, we're getting down to the wire on Countdown to Final Crisis, so I think this may take away from the story going on here. Most of the DC Universe, from what I understand, will be dealing with this Crisis, and on top of that we have the final days of the Fourth World Saga. Both of these stories will overshadow, and therefore diminish the actions in this book. So, I guess what I'm saying is, it was just bad timing for the release of this book. It probably should've waited until the other 2 story-lines were closer to completion, and then entered into the post Crisis DC Universe. As I said earlier, I'm only concerned because I like the book, and I'd like it to succeed. Really, this is all speculation on my part, so, I guess, I'll just sit back and hope for the best. But . . . we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment