Sunday, December 09, 2007

Superman / Batman #42 - DC


I have to say, again . . . if you've been reading my blogs . . . this book still has me confused. Not about the story. Actually, about the presentation. In the first issue of this arc, there was a panel that at the top read " . . . in another reality". So, over the course of this chapter in our heroes lives, I've been confused as to whether or not this story takes place in our universe . . . or an alternate one. There were many things in that first issue that led us to believe that this was taking place in another universe . . . rather than in our normal DC Universe. I forget what number we are. 1 maybe? I don't know. We have 52 to choose from. But, as the story winds up in this issue, everything is consistent with our universe. So . . . did we have a mistake in that first issue? Did I misunderstand what I read? Was it a clerical or editorial error? I only want to know because little things like this tend to drive me crazy. I thought for sure Superman was gone, after Desaad stuck that crystal in his head. But after retrieving Highfather's staff for him, Desaad banished Superman to the Source wall. There he came into contact with Highfather himself, and apparently the Source wall healed him. Darkseid has been powered back up, thanks to Desaad and seems to have immersed himself in the Omega power, and universe, to get away from Superman. And the warship Tartarus, after Darkseid has abandoned it, has been sucked into the Source wall to fill in the hole that Superman left when he escapes it. So now, apparently, Desaad, and anybody else aboard the war-world, are now stuck in the wall. And we have another casualty in the war against the Fourth World. This time it's Bekka. Orion's wife . . . and Batman's lover. So that should give Orion a more personal stake to get involved in whatever's going on. Like I said, in the end, it's all congruent with the DC Universe. But, for whatever reason, we were lead to believe, in the first issue, that it wasn't. Very confusing! But now it all ties in with the Death of the New Gods storyline. And I guess we can just go forward from here. Great story by Alan Burnett, with incredible pencils from Dustin Nguyen. I can't believe we're almost up to issue #50 already. Whodathunkit?

No comments:

Post a Comment