Sunday, December 09, 2007

Ghost Rider #17 - Marvel


I'm sorry you can't see the picture any better, but this really is a beautiful cover. Mark Texiera is just an incredible talent. Now . . for the bad news. I don't know if it's permanent, but Mark isn't doing the interiors on this book. Javier Saltares is still doing the pencils, but Tom Palmer is doing the finishes. I'm really now trying to diminish Tom's talents, but . . . it's really just not the same without Mark doing the finishes. I've talked, several times, in various blogs, about how I think an inker can make or break an artist. And no matter how talented either of them may be, if you put the wrong inker with the wrong artist, the result will go from stunning to mediocre. That's what I fell happened to the interior art on this issue. Both men, Javier and Tom, are incredible talents. They both have a huge, and impressive, resume of work. However, together . . . the chemistry just isn't there. The result, unfortunately, is that what's consistently been a stunning book visually, is now, with this issue . . . just mediocre. And I really don't mean that to insult either of them. They just don't meld well together, with their different styles. I know . . it's not going to be the same without Mark. I don't expect it to be. And I know that we have to change artists sometimes because people move on to other projects. That's really not what this is about. I'm just not happy with the results of these two artist's union. That's just how I feel about it. As far as the story goes . . I thought it was in line with the rest of the series. Daniel Way is still the author. So that's not going to change to much. The angels have come to Johnny's aide, for some reason, and they take down the inception of Lucifer that was holding the kids hostage. They also decide to spare another one, because he/she is being cooperative and helpful. I think that decision's going to come back to bite them. And what's with the demon that's chained up under the bridge? I must've missed something there. Anyways, now Johnny just has to figure out what's up with these angel's involvement. This time they helped. But, is that what they're really trying to do? Tune in next month . . . same Ghost time . . . same Ghost channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment