Saturday, December 16, 2006

Martian Manhunter #4 - DC


I really do like this book. I find the Martain Manhunter complex, but intriging. I also really like the creative team. A.J.Lieberman writes some well thought out stories. They're intricate, detailed and flow very nicely. I also like Al Barrionuevo's artwork. Especially with Bit doing the inks. I really feel that each penciller has an inker that really compliments the work, like no other can. With Barrionuevo and Bit, I can see and feel what their hard work is trying to produce. I really liked this writer/artist team when they were on Gotham Knights. But I really feel like they've kicked it up a notch with this book. Now for the bad news. As much as I like it, I also have to say, it's just not a story that grips me. I want Jonn to be triumphant. But, I find it hard to buy in to, or really care about the rest of these Martian characters. The rest of the story, the plot line, the conflict, the antagonist and protagonist, I get. But, the only 2 characters that really interest me are Jonn and this Ms. Ferdinand. She's the one that seems to be out to get the Martians back, or kill them. She's the one that met with Alex, right before he was killed. But other than these two, the others are just smoke and dust floating around in our peripheral vision. Maybe next issue, when some of his JLA teammates show up, things will heat up a bit. And, I'm sure I'll keep buying the book until it's finish. Mainly just because I want to see how the story ends. But I'd really have a hard time recommending it to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment