Monday, December 11, 2006

American Virgin #8 - Vertigo


I'm trying. I really am. I'll explain the story this issue, then I'll tell you how I feel about it. Adam, who's girlfriend was decapitated on the internet, has finally found the man responsible. In order to "hook up" with him, he has to play a role. His new friend Alexis, a transvestite, helped him find him and get close to him. He's in a gay club where anything goes. This guy likes it rough, and he likes 'em young. Adam is perfect for him. With a little primping, and some leather. Mel and Cyndi, Adam's sister, are watching out for him by serving as backup. Clauda, Mel's sister, is also on hand. She's a hardened dike who's falling hard for Cyndi. Adam, once down in the dungeon, is trying to fight back, but is also so distraught that he's seeing images of Cassie everywhere. Through their banter, the guy figures out who Adam is, and is going to kill him. However, with perfect timing, the police raid the club, and he slip out an exit before making good on his threat. As he's leaving he turns to Adam and says, "If I see you again? I will kill you, BEFORE I fuck you!". Somehow, they all make it out of the club, without getting arrested, except for Alexis who assault's an officer to help Adam escape. Adam also gets snapped by a paparazzi on the way out. When Moon, Adam's manager and publicist, finds out, he's ecstatic. "This is 100% mint gold in terms of booking you speaking tour . . . . . . I could kiss you." Ok, after writing that, I admit I'm starting to get a handle on the characters. 8 issues later. But the story just doesn't thrill me. The first 8 issues seem pretty single minded to me. I mean he's the head of a religion. A world wide speaker. The role model for millions of kids. I know he's distraught over Cassie, but there's got to be so much more going on in his life that trying to find this one guy. Yes it would be top of mind, but there should be some depth to the story. There should be more that just the one storyline. Some sub-plots. Some depth. Anyways, that's why I have a problem with this book. That, and I'm not thrilled about the art either. And, there's still one more issue for this arc.

No comments:

Post a Comment