Sunday, December 31, 2006

Checkmate #8 - DC


This is an interesting book. With all the breakthroughs in technology and the way we communicate with each other, it seems like the cloak and dagger stories aren't really that interesting anymore. But this one proves that they can be. My theory is two fold, first the cold war is a thing of the past. Or it's at least played on such a sub level that there's probably only a handful of people that really know what's going on. Second, I think, since the influx of information we receive is so vast and detailed that most people just assume that if something was going on that somehow we'd hear about it. I don't agree with either one of those theory's, but it just doesn't seem like people are as interested in the "James Bonds" or "Alias" type stories. Which is really a pity, because I would like this book to stick around. I just don't know how much of a following it's going to get. We're starting a new story arc with this issue, so this one is mostly just foundation. But that's what you have to expect with this genre. There's never going to be simple story arcs, and there's always going to be plot threads dangling about. But myself, I like that kind of story. The complicated elaborate plot line, with twists and turns all along the way. Like I said, I don't know how much of a future this book has, but I'm hoping that people are getting in to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment