Saturday, July 15, 2006

Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes #18 / #19 - DC

I like the direction Mark Waid is trying to go with this book. He introduces a lot of new concepts along the way. Something that's been gradually building is the Tech Revolution. I guess in the future there is a period where A.I. is on the verge of becoming so advanced that all human life was threatened. So to avoid this the Science Police, hence the name, scrubbed all previous technology and began to closely scrutinize all scientific development, for fear that the forbidden data might somehow be retrieved. "Today. Most S.P. barely remember the dark age from history class. But machines never forget." I have the feeling that this is the beginning of a huge storyline for our future heroes. We also have Brainiac, who is still studying Lemnos, but with the help of an Imskian work force. We see what looks like the floor of a factory, but then when the picture pulls out, all the people are Imskians working on the face of Lemnos apparantly mining for information. Literally. Cool concept. He also still has Dream Girls body, convinced that he captured her soul because he sealed her up before it had a chance to escape. Scientific conjecture, or blind love? Add to this that they are trying to figure out why and how Supergirl has arrived in their time period. That's what I like about Mark, he keeps several storylines and subplots going at all times. Of course with probably over 40 characters to deal with, you have to keep a lot going to keep them all in the storyline. Which he does a great job of. Issue #19 is a little simpler in that it deals with a 30th Century murder mystery. It's a decent story and features Chameleon. Adam DeKraker did the pencils for #18 and Barry Kitson was back on pencils for #19. I really like the creative team of Waid and Kitson, it just seems like for some reason they don't stay with a project for very long. This is one of the longest ones I've seen them on in recent memory. 19 issues now. But, even that has had a few pencil fillins already. But not to be overly negative I hope that they stick with this project for a time to come. The reason being, both creators are good in their own right. But, when they team up on a project, the results are usually spectacular. I really think this book, and this team, deserves all the talent and creativity they can throw at it. This is a team that has been around as long, or longer, than the X-men, but have nowhere near the recognition. And I think the Legion actually has better characters too. But, that's my opinion. Like I said, I really like the direction they're taking this book in, and I think that the Supergirl angle is going to make for some excellent plot twists. Go Legion!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment