Sunday, July 16, 2006

American Virgin #4 / #5 - Vertigo

Ok this series is a little strange. Adam is this Christian evangelist who spreads the word of Virginity and Adultery. He's a 20 something Virgin who is saving himself for his one true love, Cassie. Well she decides to go to Africa as a Christian Missionary, before she gets married. Ironically, she ends up dead. And not just dead. Raped, killed and beheaded. Yowtch! So Adam has to go to Africa to claim her body. Oh yeah, he found out all of this happened because it was taped and put on the internet. After seeing it, he goes to Africa with Cyndi, his step-sister, and his guide Mel. They go to Swaziland to claim her body. After a couple of incidents he finds who he thinks is responsible for her death. The guy didn't actually do it, but before killing himself, he does kind of put Adam on the right track. So in issue #5 he goes home to his mansion in Miami. His mother and father appear to be the driving force behind his evangelism. And right now they're working hard to keep him on track. They have Cassie's funeral and Adam really loses it. But Mel gets a lead that the Axman in the internet video is in Australia. Adam decides to continue his search for her killer. And Cyndi's going with him again. Like I said this series is a little strange. I don't really understand the whole purpose of all this. And there's a lot of religion thrown about. The only reason I'm really trying to stick with it is because I'm a fan of Steven T Seagle who is writing it. But I don't know how much longer I'm going to wade through it. Becky Cloonan does the art. It's . . . . . . ok. But it's not really my style. It has a very simplistic, indy kind of look to it. I mean, don't get me wrong, obviously Becky has talent. It's just not my cup of tea. I'm more in to the flashy, very detailed type work. But my reading habits, and the market in general, is tending to veer away from the traditional super-hero genre. That's always going to be the bread and butter, but now, we're starting to get a little more experimentation. Such as this. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment