Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wonder Woman #1 - DC

I have to say I have a lot of hopes for this book. I really liked the way the last series ended. This book has Diana & Donna. The focus is on Donna first, but she proves to be no match for Dr Psycho, Giganta and the Cheetah. They are looking for Diana, and after beating her, abduct Donna to take them to her. We find out on the last page though, that she's still around, but Sarge Steel introduces her to Nemesis, as Agent Diana Prince, his new partner. Yowza!!! I wouldn't mind being on a stakeout with her. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with Allen Heinberg, but I liked his first issue. Lots of character development, a couple of subplot thrown in and the reintroduction of some cool characters. I am, however, a big fan of Terry Dodson's artwork. I think that it has only improved since he seems to be working almost exclusively with his wife, Rachel, on inks. I think some people can ink Terry's work, a little to heavy, but Rachel seems to have just the right feel for it. Like I said, I think it has actually improved over the last year or two. There's a lot of explaining going on in this issue, but that's ok. I think it's mostly to bring people who aren't familiar with the character up to speed. I think the history is explained well, but the story leaves you hanging where it needs to. I just have to say that I think that the most perfect run on Wonder Woman was the Phil Jimenez run. The artwork was awesome, the story was awesome, and I feel that the whole ensemble (Wonder Woman, the Themysciran people and nation, and all of Wonder Woman's supporting characters) took huge leaps and bounds that hadn't been obtained by anyone else. Some of you might argue that George Perez' run was the pinnacle, but that's a discussion for another time. Anyways, the point I'm trying to make is, that run symbolizes the success that this book can achieve. Are Allen & Terry up to this challenge? I believe they are. I don't expect this to be like those books. But, that was Wonder Woman and all her mythos at their peak. Hopefully this team will achieve that greatness and go beyond. We'll see. We also have to see how long Terry stays on this book. Personally, I give him 10-12 issues. We'll see. And yes I did buy the $10 Adam Kubert cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment