Friday, June 16, 2006

Front Line - Civil War / Marvel Spotlight #1 Civil War

Ok I'm just gonna lump these 2 books together, because they're more like prequels, or addendums to the big Civil War storyline. I really don't want to complain, because I remember that this is just a company trying to make money, just like any other company. But, do they really have to put out all this extra stuff for the big story. Civil War is only on issue 2, but I'm willing to bet there's been at least 20 books come out so far that are either directly related to the story, or at least have the Civil War logo on the cover. I think it's a bit much. Ok, yes the story should have ramifications across the Marvel Universe, but the thing that really get me about these huge epic crossovers, first, is that half the books that supposedly tie in to this story as it's going along, will have no changes whatsoever coming out of this huge event. Sure there may be some creator changes, but to me that's not really a change in the core character or substance of a book or storyline. So, those books are disposable. Then, yes there probably will be a radical change in a few characters, but, either one of two things will happen. Either, first, it will be to a minor character, or some obscure character that they're trying to bring out of hybernation. Hello! Those characters are in hybernation for a reason. They SUCK! Or, second, they will make some radical change to a character, and then 10 to 12 months down the road something will happen to take them back to the way they were. Therefore the other half of the books are disposable. For instance, how long does anyone really think Spider-man will remain in the Tony Stark designed spider suit? 6 months? A year? Longer? I, personally, give it a year. Tops!! If you want characters to become embedded in the culture of the purchases, you have to let them change. Let them evolve. Let them grow. Let them become a product of the environment around them, which is the current world & events. Sure there's going to be some people mad when their favorite character changes. So what? There's going to be just as many fans that applaud the change, and will be mad when they change back. I'm really not trying to be cynical. Yes, I will give this storyline a chance. But, I can just see the writing on the wall. Yes you have to give them credit for trying something new and different. But, if things don't turn out like they expect. Or if they start getting complaints about how someone feels their handling a character, BOOOM!!! Everything will go back to the status quo. Then, our investments as consumers, becomes moot. I really hope they prove me wrong. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment