Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ultimate X-men #71 - Marvel

As I've said before, I love the Ultimate titles. Robert Kirkman, the lastest writer, is doing a decent job with his issues so far. And Ben Oliver, while not an outstanding artist, has definitely been giving the book a distict feel. My only complaint about this issue, is that after seeing the movie, the Phoenix part of this story is very similar to that story. I mean there's a twist on it, Lilandra is a minister for the Shiar Church of Enlightenment. They're trying to figure out exactly what is Jean Grey and the Phoenix. There's also a subplot that someone from the Hellfire club is also trying to get their hands on her. They also killed off Gambit a couple of issues ago, and Rogue obsorbed all his powers and memories. So she now has those powers on top of her own. Then you have Lilandra who is trying to theorize away the Phoenix as nothing more than a personality in the fractured mind of Jean Grey. Lot's of good stuff. Now I'm not really complaining about the Phoenix storyline, because I liked the movie. I just like to see original stuff. But, overall I enjoyed the book. Like I said, I like the way the Ultimate universe takes established characters a puts a twist on them so they're just a little askew to what you're used to. I can't tell you how much I like to see things shaken up. I didn't honestly think this book would last this long, but I'm glad it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment