Sunday, June 25, 2006

Birds of Prey #95 - DC

Ok I'm not a person to judge a book by it's cover. But, this cover sucks. This is one of my favorite books out there and, I gotta tell you, I was really worried about the inside, when I saw this cover. But, I should've known I had nothing to worry about. We start out with the "Birds", who consist of Oracle, Huntress, Shiva, Zinda and Gypsy, trying to rescue the Crime Doctor from Prometheus. He wants to torture the Dr. by killing his daughter, Bethany, in front of him because he defected from the Society. We also are following the story in Asia, where Black Canary, going through the steps of being Shiva's protege, is living in a village where everyone is devoted to training Shiva's replacement. She comes across a little girl, Sin, who, before she came along, was supposed to be the one trained. She befriends her and finds out that should she leave, Sin will once again be the trainee. Black Canary confronts "Mother", lays down the law, then with her contacts with Oliver Queen, takes Sin and leaves the country. The girls don't beat Prometheus, but in a moment of clarity, the Crime Doctor takes his own life to save his daughters. Once that's done, there no further need for Prometheus' involvement, so he leaves. The issue ends with BC deciding to take on a motherly role with Sin, and Shiva going to Bethany's school to take her with her as her next apprentice. Lots of underlying sub-plots going on here. Gail Simone has really gotten a hold of these characters and has done a wonderful job writing this book. My only concern is that she's on a couple different books now, and I hope she doesn't spread herself so thin that her stories start to suffer. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment