Friday, June 16, 2006

Superman Returns - Prequel #1 - DC

Ok, I understand the need for this story. With the new "Superman Returns" movie coming out this summer, DC wants to make sure anyone that hasn't been reading this character lately, can get caught up with the story leading up to the movie. Now we all know that the movie versions of comics are never quite the same as the real deal. But, I think that we all accept that they take artistic license to make the character fit the screen, and the 2 to 3 hour storylines. And if they're truly doing this to bring the viewers up to speed, so they don't have to explain as much during the movie, then fantastic. As I've said before, that's why I think both the sequels to X-men and Spider-man were better than the original, was because with the second ones they didn't have to focus as much on explaining the history, and got to focus more on the story or the action. But, the whys are neither here nor there. This is a decent book. Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray write it. And for a story that's been told and retold many times, they made it interesting. Ariel Olivetti does the art. He is a relative newcomer, past 8 to 10 years maybe, but I really like his stuff. He's has a unique style right from the beginning, but with each new project I think his stuff gets better. We all know this story. There's not really any new twists in this one. However, I like the view and dialogue of the Kryptonians. And I'm sure that next issue, they'll develop the Jonathon and Martha characters a little. All in all this is a nice book. If you know the story, you probably don't need this. But, if you're a collector like I am, you'll probably want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment