Sunday, June 04, 2006

Painkiller Jane #2 - Dynamite Entertainment

I have to be honest with you, I don't know a whole lot about this character. She only had 2 or 3 of her own stories under the Image imprint Gorilla. And she had a couple of crossovers. But, I do like detective stories and this is one with twist. Basically she has a fantastic healing factor, used to be a cop, and now with the help of a couple accomplises, trys to deal out justice to some people who deserve it. I know. It's been done. But, this is a character of Joe Quesada & Jimmy Palmiotti. Both of which have an excellent track record, both together and separate. So while these first 2 issues haven't bowled me over, I have very high hopes for it. Right now Jane is after a rich man who abducts women as sex slaves, or as a means to fulfill his sick twisted fantasies of pain, torture and death. Jane's main accomplice are Maureen Fernandez, a cop who likes to see justice done, but is also bound by rules and regulations. Helping her, on the force, is Lou Weber. I may be way off base, but I think that there's something up with him. I have a feeling he's going to end up betraying Maureen. Then there's the Doctor, Seth, that Maureen takes Jane to for help in mending and healing after she's been seriously hurt. Now, Jane knowing about this healing factor, I feel, has an urge to push it to the extreme to see exactly how far it is she can go, before she reaches the point she can't come back from. She hasn't reached that point yet. This girl takes some serious chances, and is always on the edge. There's also a guest appearance in here by "22 Brides", even though it is actually in a dream sequence. But hey, you gotta take what you can get. The artwork by Lee Moder is ok. It fits the series. Over all I think this book, and character, have huge potential. This Dynamite Entertainment is also a new comic line. So far I think they have Red Sonja, Painkiller Jane, Army of Darkness, Scout (maybe), and they're getting ready to launch a Xena title. Not a bad start for a new company. Lets see what they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment