Friday, June 02, 2006

Ion - Guardian of the Universe #2 - DC

Kyle Raynor is my favorite Green Lantern. I like Allen Scott. I like Hal Jordan. I like Guy Gardner. I like Killowog. Heck I even liked the dog thing, can't remember his name right now though. But still, Kyle is my favorite. Why? As I said in a previous blog, I like change. I like for things to be shaken up. I like to see things go in a different direction than what you expect, if for no other reason than that they can. I like to get invested in a character that you never know what to expect. And that is exactly what I've gotten from Kyle ever since he got the ring. Maybe DC planned on him just being around until Hal returned. I mean come on, everyone knew Hal was going to return. So now, Kyle is one of, if not, the most important Green Lantern there is, and he's still going through turmoil and change. Again, we're dealing with the 1 year later stuff, but we have Kyle who now apparently is a living battery, and he's merged with the starheart. Can't wait to see how they explain that. But, what's more important is the turmoil that's going on in him now. He's had these godlike powers before, but now, he's a schizophrenic god. Well, maybe not, but his two power sources are definitely at war with each other inside of him. Ron Marz, writes a fantastic story. And Greg Tocchini's pencils are perfect on this book. Darryl Banks will always be my favorite Kyle penciller, but this is good stuff too. So apparently one side of his psyche wants war, and the other peace. When he's calm Kyle wants to go to a secluded artists retreat and do nothing but pencil landscapes. But when he wakes up from one of his psychotic episode, he finds out that he's eliminted an entire race. Or at least he being blamed for it. These black outs and missing time, aren't doing much to convince him otherwise though. This is a 12 issue maxi series, but, that's ok. Why? Because, the one thing I know for sure is that Kyle definitely won't come out of this series the same way he went in. Good stuff!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment