Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Spectre #1 - DC

The Spectre has been around for a long time. Since the 40's, I believe. And, while I haven't read alot of the old stories, I have seen most of the stuff he's been in since the 70's. I'm sorry, but I have always seen him as a severely underated, and underdeveloped character. Now, 1 year later again, he's come back, after his love fight with Carol Palmer, the Atom's wife, who was under the influence of Eclipso, or at least his black diamond. I'm still a little shaky on that whole storyline. What I gather is the Spectre, who was without a host at the time since Hal Jordan came back to life, was at a crossroads in his existence in which he could be easily influenced. So, Carol Palmer, who essencially started this whole thing back in Identity Crisis, now posessed by Eclipso decided to make the Spectre feel like he was in love with her, and out of that love would come the mutual plan to wipe all magic out of existence. I think that's the basic synopsis. At least that's how I understand it. Anyways, you knew that wasn't gonna work out. So now the Spectre has returned looking for a new host. A Gotham Police Detective by the name of Crispus Allen. Apparently he was killed a year ago and was offered the position. He turned it down, but since he obviously wasn't going to move on to the afterlife, the Spectre told him to think about it and he'd be back in a year to offer it to him again. Hence, where the storyline picks up in this first issue. I really hope they can do something with this character this time. I really do. But, with the results of the last 2 or 3 outings, I'm not holding out much hope. This issue is mainly backfill to let you know how they've gotten to this point. You learn alot about Crispus, but not much about the Spectre. Except at the end when they do join and, after distributing justice to someone the Spectre deems worthy, or unworthy, it dawns on Crispus, that "He needs me alot more that I need him." And BOOM the story ends. So unless you're a die-hard Spectre fan, and I haven't run in to one yet, give this book a couple of issues to see how things pan out before you start putting it on your pull lists. Now the sales of this book will be decent, just because it's tied in to Infinite Crisis, but, I don't see any chance of it being a book you won't be able to find 6 months from now. Like I've said before, I like books that create change, stir things up, give us a new perspective on an old story. This one, as much as I hope otherwise, won't be one of those. But, in the end it's your 3 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment