Saturday, October 28, 2006

Detective Comics #824 - DC


Ok, I'll admit it, Paul Dini's stories are getting better with every issue. Now, I know, this guy has a lot of experience, but when he first came on board Detective, I just wasn't to thrilled with his scripting. But, it's growing on me. The same can be said of Don Kramer, the artist. I liked him right from the start, but I still feel he's improving every issue. And, I also feel that some of this is due to the colorist, John Kalisz. This is some of the best, most vibrant, colors I've ever seen in a book. It is just outstanding. Oh, and of course, I have to give props to Simone Bianchi's covers. Every issue they are just a work of art. So, from a creative standpoint, I feel this book is in the best hands it's been in a long time. Great editorial choices. Now, on to the story. Penquin, on the level? Say it isn't so. Well, he's not completely, but, he's trying to appear so. As is the Riddler, who has his own P.I. business in Gotham also. We get a guest appearance from Lois Lane this issue also. It appears her and Bruce have the same suspicions, and reservations, while attending Penquin's party. We also have a new bad guy on the scene, although I don't know how far he'll go in Batman's huge Rogue's gallery, a Mr. Zzz. Apparently he is a criminal who is sleepwalking throught his crime career. Some form of Narcolepsy. Anyways, in the back room of Penquin's soiree is a high stakes poker game. And Mr. Zzz is cleaning Penquin's clock, or rather his bank. The guy can't lose. Of course Batman figures out the scheme, there's a melee between him and Mr. Zzz. And in the end all the bad guys go to jail. And, Batman returns all the money back to the Penquin. Oswald asks, "So what do I owe you for this grotesque display of largess?". To which the Batman replys, "Limit your thievery to bad tee shirts and overpriced drinks. Or else." Nice little twist at the end. Oh, and Bruce's bimbo date ends up with . . . . . . Lois?

No comments:

Post a Comment