Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Secret Warriors #7 - Marvel

This is turning out to be one of my favorite Marvel books. I think because I like Nick Fury's character so much. My only kind-of negative comment is that, now that Nick is trying to put his army back together, it seems like the focus has switched away from his Secret Warriors. I think that was a neat twist when this whole thing first started. Without them . . I'm afraid this will turn into any other SHIELD book, or mini that we've seen in the past. I know it's a necessary part of the story-line, but . . I'm just sayin'. These kids are a neat bunch of characters. I'd just like to see them utilized more. That being said . . the book opens with them on a mission with Nick. However, it's the first time we've really seen them in action in about 3 issues. Anyways, Nick needs some funding for his new peace-keeping force, so . . he's decided to take it from a bank in Zurich that his knows is run, and funded, by the Baron. At the end of the operation he staples a note to the bank manager's head . . "Baron, I O U 1.2 billion dollars" Anyways, he knows that the Baron and Norman are eventually going to conspire against him. Afterall, he did hit his helicarrier base pretty hard last issue. So he's got Alex watching out for any ripples in the cosmos. Which he senses about half-way through this issue. This sends Nick out quickly to secure his forces. He orders Daisy to keep everyone inside, locked down. Then he goes out to gather up Agent Garrett, and Black-Widow and Songbird. But that's when they catch up to him. He finds out that Norman has sicked Ares and the Thunderbolts on him. Which should make for a very interesting issue next time. The thing I like about the story here is the military-like precision that Jonathan Hickman has written into it. I mean obviously it has to be that way. Nick is a very disciplined and structured person, but . . Jonathan does a great job of exemplifying that in his stories. Alessandro Vitti's art is ok. I could take it or leave it. I wish Jim Cheung, who does the covers were doing the interiors. But . . we got what we got. The point is . . I really like the book. It has a ton of potential. But I would like to see our 'kids' a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment