Tuesday, November 28, 2006

the Trials of Shazam! #3 - DC


I thought this book was going to be about Billy Batson, but it's actually about Freddy Freeman. He's lost his powers and in order to get them back, he has to go through some trials with his guide Zareb. On top of that there's a council. A council of mystical type people, the Council of Merlin. And they want Freddy to fail, because if he does, they can transfer all the power of Shazam into their acolyte, Sabina. And she really wants the power, "I just want to make sure that I get to swing the big bat!". This issue he gains the wisdom of Solomon. The wisdom is tattooed on him, while he is opening up about how he really feels about Shazam and the events that led to him getting a portion of his power. Judd Winick writes this, so you know the story is going to be good. Howard Porter draws. Now I've always been a fan of Howard's, but he's trying some new stuff on this book. I like it. I don't know if I can explain this right, but his style is kind of shadowy and dream like. In a book about magic, it fits perfectly. This rides only just begun, so I'm sure it's just going to get better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment