Thursday, November 30, 2006

Superman/Batman Annual #1 - DC


Ok, now I do like this story. I do love this title. I'm a fan of Joe Kelly, the author, and also of all the various artists that have come on board to create this book. However, this particular story raises a lot of questions in my mind. First of all, it's supposedly the first meeting of Superman and Batman. That being said, it doesn't really explain who the combatants are that first bring them together. They're fighting some metas in Metropolis that look and dress like them and their contemporaries, but we don't really know who, what or why. We then move on to a cruise that Lois & Clark, and Bruce, all just happen to be booked on at the same time. Obviously since this is one of their first meetings, Lois is not privy at this time to their identities. But, while they're on the ship, there's a reference to "Brokeback Mountain". It doesn't bother me, it just doesn't seem to be in the right time frame. Then there's this guy, that's supposedly a bodyguard for Bruce. He's kinda' like and anti-Terminator. His role in this is very confusing. Next we have, supposedly, the first meeting of the Crime Syndicate. But, I thought we first met them with the JLA. And if this is Clark & Bruce's first team up, the JLA is a long way off. The Terminator is also thrown into this story, although I'm not exactly sure why. Now, at the end we see that this was set up by Mxyzptlk. But I'm confused on whether this was an imaginary story, a mixing of stuff from different earths, or just nonsense. But, in the previews of this book, it says that this book is going to address some questions that go back to the beginning of the series. (???) So, that leaves me really confused. Like I said, I like this book. This issue leaves me rather confused, but obviously I still bought it. 2 actually. But, unless you're a die hard fan, I would have trouble recommending this particular issue to anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment