Sunday, October 10, 2010

the Amazing Spider-man #639, #640 and #641 - Marvel

I enjoyed this story-arc, but . . really the whole thing could've been told in one issue . . issue #641. Basically, we're finally getting the whole story on what actually happened the day that Peter and Mj thought that they were going to lose Aunt May. And how those events precipitated MJ walking out on Peter and leaving him . . for good. However, since we saw before how all of this was due to the machinations of Mephisto, I'm guessing that this is Joe Quesada's way of rewriting those events. We saw in issue #638 MJ's encounter with power from down under . . and I don't mean Australia. However, with this story-arc, it seems that have been unfolded in a different way. We start out with their wedding . . a wedding which never happened, and eventually led to MJ deciding that Peter's secret is just to much of a responsibility for her. We also find out that the Kingpin not only sent someone after Peter, but because of Peter humiliating him in front of the entire prison, Wilson's hitter now had a list of Peter's and MJ's entire family. MJ, and Peter, stop the guy from taking out Anna. But during the course of the interlude, MJ finds out that after these 2 he's moving on to her entire family . . immediate and extended. That's when she realizes that it's not Peter putting her family in danger, but rather herself . . because, she's 'Spider-man's girlfriend'. But they both come to a conclusion because of this. Peter decides that it's to risky for the entire world to know his secret. Somehow he has to stop it. So he enlists the aid of Doctor Strange. And with the help of Reed and Tony, Stephen erases the memory of Peter's association with Spider-man from the entire world. However, at the time, Peter decides that the memory of everything that's happened is to much for him to live with alone. At the last second he pulls MJ into his protective circle, enabling her to share those memories with him. But the conclusion that she had reached was that all of this was just to much to bear. It was bad enough that she was always worried about Peter when he was out crusading. But she was also, really, his second choice. In her heart, as well as his, she knew that his first choice would always be to save the world. Then on top of that, because of his secret, there would always be the chance that something would happen that would put her, as well as her entire family in jeopardy because of their relationship and association. For that . . she would be solely responsible. If she chose to be with him. Which is why she didn't. But that's not really what this story is all about. Well it is . . to an extent. To the extent that this is the first time we had heard it. But to Peter and MJ, this was all history. Tragic and heartbreaking, but . . history. No the point of this whole story . . the point of MJ coming back and begging Peter to talk about everything that they've been through, was first of all to make sure that Peter understood all of her actions and choices. Because of his love he accepted them, but . . she knew that he didn't really understand. And with that understanding, she chose to set him free. 'I wish I was strong enough to be with you, but I'm not. And I don't know if I ever will be. And you . . you need to fin that someone who is. And you need to move on. You've been sitting here, wondering . . waiting for something that isn't going to happen. You need to get on with your life. There's someone wonderful out there for you. But, if you don't let go of 'this', you may never find her . . even if she's standing right in front of you.' Which leads Peter to a realization. 'Today, my best friend, the best person I've ever known . . set me free. Today, for the first time in a long time, I feel like my destiny's my own. Like I can take on anything life has to throw at me. Today? Today feels like a brand new day!'. Hmmm. Where have we heard that before. Anyways, I thought it was a good story. And very moving in parts. It just seems to me that this whole thing with Mephisto was just kind of swept under the rug. It happened. But it didn't'. You know what I mean? This story, to me, seems like the natural occurrence of events. But that's not the way it happened. At least not the first time. So now . . it's different? I guess that's all I'm going to say about that. I don't want to get stuck up on some soapbox. Let's just say that I think Joe Quesada, and Paolo Rivera are extremely talented. If I could do it I would. But I can't, so . . I just have to read it . . and accept what's published. I enjoyed the story and look forward to the next story-arc. And I'm trying really hard not to say something snide to end all of this. I'm just going to say that I think Peter is one of the best characters out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment