Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dark Avengers #11 - Marvel

Seeing as how I'm such an Avengers fan, and read all the other books, I feel guilty in admitting this, but . . I really like this title. I know Mike Deodato's art has been a big draw for me, but . . it's not just that. I think Brian Bendis has done a terrific job of bringing these characters together, and portraying how they interact and associate with one another. This is a group that, first of all . . no one would've ever expect to be on a team together. And secondly . . I don't think that anyone would've expected it to be this good, or interesting. But the thing that Brian does best, in my book, is make the quieter moments interesting. It hasn't always been huge battles and constant fighting with this group . . even though that's what I expected. Most of the information, and interaction comes from when they're all sitting around the table, having dinner or trying to have a meeting, and they're all talking amongst themselves. Some listen, some don't . . they're constantly jabbing at each other, and . . most of them seem to have their own agenda. But . . to me, that just all serves to paint the picture of an extremely dysfunctional family. They hate each other and want to kill each other, but . . at the same time they know that they're all in this together. Even if they do have to watch their backs the whole time. Anyways, this issue . . as well as well dealing with the apparent threat that they're now facing in Colorado . . we also get some of the background story on Victoria Hand, Norman's right-hand man. We see some of her time in SHIELD, and how she eventually pissed off Nick Fury. Although, at the time, I think he was starting to get an idea about some of the problems with SHIELD, AIM and HYDRA . . those we're also Victoria's concerns. But I think he was mounting his own investigation and so he needed dissenting voices to be quieted. It's hard to work undercover when someone else is shouting. But she went to work for Norman with this animosity towards SHIELD and Nick. After she sees the treat level this issue, and what they're up against, she says to herself 'I think I owe Nick Fury a huge apology.' The first step on the road to recovery is admittance. Anyways, on first glance it appeared that the Molecular Man, the Beyonder, the Enchantress, Mephisto and Zarathos had been building some kind of secret dimension of something here. But we find out this issue that this whole thing is the manipulation and construction of the Molecular Man's warped mind. Supposedly he was raised here and now he's decided that he wants to plant his roots and keep this land for his own. Well . . he's got this whole other world created, but . . it appears as if the doorway to it exists within a little diner in Dinosaur Colorado. Anyways, the Molecular Man begins mucking about with the individual members of Norman's team. A few of these scenes are brilliantly painted by Greg Horn. And the issue ends with Victoria approaching the diner and surrendering. I can't wait to see what she's really up to. All in all I thought this was a great issue and I can't wait to see the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment