Saturday, September 16, 2006

Detective Comics - #823 - DC


Ok, I've given Paul Dini hell the last couple of issues. I wasn't very happy with the last few, and I believe I called them simplistic. Well this issue is a step in the right direction. We're dealing with Poison Ivy who is being attacked by a creature she inadvertently created. While Batman was gone she was experimenting, as usual. She had some kind of giant man eating plant, and she was feeding it people, so she could watch to see how the plant's enzymes ate them up. What she hadn't counted on though, is that the plant evolved and absorbed the consciousness of those it devoured. Now, it is a giant pulsating mound of plant flesh that calls itself "Harvest". Batman of course beat the entity, saved Ivy but unfortunately can't verify that it is completely gone. He assumes that the salt water content of the river that flows under the cave took care of it. But, you all know what happens when we assume. So I'm sure we'll see Harvest in the future. What I really liked about the book though is the art. Joe Benitez did the pencils with Victor Llamas on inks. Normally I wouldn't mention the inker, but I feel that in some rare instances the penciller and inker compliment each other so much that it creates a work of art. These two, together, in this book, did just that. Of course some of that credit needs to go to John Kalisz, the colorist. These pages were just vibrant. I think it would definitely be in their best interests to try to keep this trio together on this book. Yes, the art was that good. Of course the cover by Simone Bianchi was phenomonal also. But, they all are. Like I said, this book just took a big step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment