Saturday, September 16, 2006

American Virgin #6 - Vertigo


Ok, they're trying to develop the characters some more. To me, this book is just a little hard to get into right away. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. It's just that in the 30 days between issues, you kinda' forget about the characters. I remember the over all theme, Adam is a 20 something virgin, who heads a religion based on virginity, and the woman he loves, Cassandra, was murdered, shortly before they were to be married, in Africa where she was doing missionary work. After that, I have to get in to it every month, because I don't remember what else is going on. Now once the story gets rolling I'm fine. But it's just that the characters aren't really memorable enough to carry with me over a long period of time. And I know that that's hard to accomplish. This is a new book, with new characters, and a new type of genre. It's going to take time to build the repoir between the characters and the reader. Now the jist of this one is that they are holding one of their religious conferences in Melbourne at the same time as the Melbourne Midsumma Gay Festival. Adam comes into contact with a "Female" reporter and befiends her/him. He even uses her situation in his opening speech about how we're all on the same path . Different places, but same path. And the theme of this speech seems to have a big impact on the conference. Anyways Mel is still looking for Cassandra's killers, and Adam finally watches the whole murder scene on the internet. Overall a decent story. Like I said though, the problem is I'll have forgotten all of this by the time the next issue comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment