Sunday, February 28, 2010

Project Superpowers: Chapter Two #7 - Dynamite Entertainment

Ok, much like the Blackest Night book . . there's a whole lot of stuff going on in this issue. The problem is . . it's not all connected. Well . . I guess it is, but . . we don't know exactly how yet. I know Alex Ross and Jim Krueger are trying to make sure they keep all of these characters moving in the right direction, and congruous. But . . there's just so many characters here, that it's hard to spend any amount of time on a single plot thread. So reading this issue . . I felt like we were all over the place. Having said that . . I did enjoy it. I think Edgar Salazar is getting better and better with every issue. He's really coming into his own as a premiere artist. And there were a lot of cool ideas presented here. My only problem . . like I said . . is just that there's not enough room for explanation, so that we feel like we have an adequate understanding of what's going on. The main thing that I got out of it . . and enjoyed about the story, is the explanation as to how some of these characters may be related to Zeus. And, if not by blood, than by the fires of Prometheus. We also find out that the secondary mutations . . or, I guess I should say, the augmentation of some of these 'heroes' powers, due to the time spent in the urn . . are actually . . well, I'll let the Green Lama explain it. He's talking to Samson, who's recovering from his injuries. 'I think the urn has made you immortal. Perhaps it's done the same with the rest . . with all of us . . . what if your powers have changed . . but that's only a part of what's changed? I believe, primarily due to the urn, that you've all been transformed into creatures of myth . .' I think I understand what he's saying, but . . hopefully he'll explore this thought process some more in future issues. Anyways, the issue ends with a group of the heroes drawing out Zeus and attacking him. On my way through this issue, I counted no less than 40 different characters spread throughout the pages of this book. And about 8 different plot-lines. Yes some of those are connected, but . . they're still different views and perceptions. And even though we know they're connected . . we don't know exactly how. Yet! I liked this book, and enjoy the series. However, I think that this one will definitely read better as a TPB. That way you'll be reading the whole 12 issue series all together. This one almost seems to be made for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment