Saturday, February 27, 2010

Blackest Night: the Flash #3 - DC

I thought this was an interesting issue. I'm not going to say that I liked everything about it, but . . overall, I think because of Barry, I thought it helped to move the story forward and set things up nicely for Blackest Night #7. I'll tell you what though . . to me the part that I enjoyed the least was the part about Owen and his father, Digger. Apparently, Owen was so overwrought with grief over losing his father, that he actually believes that this Black Lantern version of him is the real thing. So Digger has convinced Owen that if he gets enough hearts that he may be able to come back to life. Owen has had him in this pit and keeps shoving people down there for him to 'eat'. And while I know that 'Digger' is just playing him, we've seen that Black Lanterns can fly. So, even if Owen is giving him what he needs, it seems like he'd be getting it a lot slower than if he just went up and joined the ranks of his Black Lantern brothers. Later when the Rogues find out what he's been doing they're disgusted because he's also fed him women and children. Snart ends up pushing Owen into the pit and Digger almost immediately removes his heart. First, I didn't like the way that whole thing went down. Secondly . . I really liked Owen's character. I'm not happy with that fact that he's going to be dead after this series is over. Anyways, through the rest of the issue the current Rogues are fighting the resurrected Rogues. They're throwing everything they have at him, to no avail. But then, when they're in Iron Heights and they brush up against the door of Eobard Thawne's cell, the Reverse-Flash . . they all become frozen in their tracks. It looks like the Black Ring is confused because it currently has the corpse of Eobard Thawne in it's control, and is fighting Barry. But here . . here hangs the living version of the same person. Anyways, Snart decides to take advantage of the confusion and use his ice-bombs to freeze the entirety of the facility. Which for some reason also freezes the Black Lantern Reverse-Flash that is currently fighting Barry. However, the part I like the best about the book is when Barry brings Bart back out of his Black Ring influence. Wally accidentally finds out that when he and Bart run into each other that they become connected through the Speed Force. Wally can see him there and talk to him, but there's nothing that he can do to pull him out. So he leaves that to Barry. He does the same thing, going into the Speed Force, but I think it's the combination of his innate power and that of the Blue Ring that makes him successful. This also helps Barry to find out what's going on with Nekron as Bart is still connected and can feel him calling them all away . . to Coast City. And this all leads directly into the big 'she-bang' happening in Blackest Night #7. Like I said, I wasn't happy about everything in this issue, but . . I am glad that Bart has been freed from the Black Ring. We knew that was going to happen, but . . it was still good to see. The whole thing with Owen and Digger just really disturbs me. In a big epic like this, I guess that's just the cards we're dealt. Also it's obvious that this story takes place before Flash Rebirth #6. Geoff Johns did a good job explaining the events here. Even if they didn't reach a satisfactory conclusion. And Scott Kolins really seemed back in his element with the Flash. Overall I enjoyed it. It was entertaining. But it's like a bad piece of fish. It's going to sit with me for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment