Tuesday, December 16, 2008

HULK #8 - Marvel


I'm sad to say, but . . . I just wasn't overly excited about this issue. The creative talent on this book right now is phenomenal. Jeph Loeb is a fantastic writer, as far as I'm concerned. Art Adams does the art for the initial story, and then Frank Cho does the back-up feature. Although, right now it's a little hard to really tell who the main character is. We have Grulk in the first story, and Rulk in the second. Obviously Bruce Banner was the first, but . . that doesn't necessarily mean the Rulk isn't the draw. And the way both of these artists draw their women . . . it's a little hard to stay focused on the story. Do you remember about 10 years ago, there was all this hype about the difference between the American version of video-games, and the Japanese counterparts? The one that comes to mind with me was a fighting game. I can't really remember the name right now. Anyways, in the Japanese version the women were more 'endowed' . . . aesthetically pleasing , if you will. But, not only did the women look better, . . . their bodies responded to the extreme physical activities in a more noticeable, and natural way. I kind of felt the same way watching Ms Marvel fight the Hulk . . . sorry, Grulk . . in this book. There was a few times I thought she was going to give herself a black eye. To me the best part of this first story . . besides the reemergence of Joe Fixit even though he was only around for the first 2 pages . . . I thought Art did a fantastic job with his rendition of Moon Knight. I'm not really sure that I buy his fall from the stratosphere . . . and then his landing on the Hulk's back, but . . . there has to be some artistic license. Right? And for all the bouncing around that Art had in the first story . . Frank has She-Hulk, Thundra and Valkyrie showing triple the absorbancy in the second feature. And Rulk responded the way any red-blooded American man would in this situation . . . "Come to Daddy! . . . If you two want to come back inside, have a beer with me . . . and play spin the bottle . . . I won't kill your little girlfriend here. . . . .What's it going to be, girls? She-Hulk dies . . . or you two agree to be the bread in a Red Hulk sandwich." And then, at the end of the story . . the girl's back-up arrives. Which is 6 more vuluptuous women . . including Tigra. Tigra? Isn't she dead? Or at least in traction, or in the hospital, or something? I guess I should've said . . I wasn't really excited about the story in this issue. The art on the other hand . . . va-va-voom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment