Sunday, September 21, 2008

the War that Time Forgot #5 - DC


I have to say, I'm really kind of on the fence about this one. I think it's an interesting concept . . I can see the potential in it all, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the ultimate goal of the whole thing is. I do love these covers by all the various artists. This month's is obviously by Walt Simonson. I'd have to say first of all I'm very disappointed by Al Barrionuevo's art. I've seen him do so much better than what we're getting on this series. Which leads me to the observation that he and the inker . . Jimmy Palmiotti . . aren't gelling their individual styles very well. Which is kind of sad because Jimmy can add so much to other artists. I guess these 2 styles just don't fit as comfortably together. Then we have Bruce Jones' story. It's obvious that this whole thing is some kind of social experiment by some future group or race. I mean the robotic dinosaurs were a neat twist, but not totally unexpected. I just find it hard to really find any kind of attachment to any of these characters. Yes they're all from different times and have different personalities, but the only one that really stands out from all the rest is the GI Robot. And right now, he's pretty messed up. Maybe now that we're almost half-way through the series the story will start to heat up a little bit. The first five issues have really been more of an introduction than anything else. They've introduced us to the characters and the various camps. But we've only gotten the barest insight into the 'guards'. I'll stick with this one, because I enjoy the ideas being presented here. I just hope that gets more exciting in future issues. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment