Saturday, May 24, 2008

the Mighty Avengers #13 - Marvel


As with the Young X-Men, this issue is also about another new group of heroes being put together. Last issue we saw how Nick Fury ties into this whole Skrull invasion story-line. He had gone undercover, after his fiasco in Latervia, and I guess was feeling lonely. He was living in Mexico, and decided to have a little rendezvous with Valentina, his long-time lover. But, being the suspicious person that he his, he followed her and found out that she was a Skrull. When she came back to their room, he killed her, and, reverting to her natural form, confirmed his suspicions. This all happened before the whole Elektra/Skrull thing. Now he decides that in order to fight this, he needs to put together a new group. But he can't go to any of his normal allies, because he has no idea who he can trust. "I have a special group of files. A "Caterpillar File" . . kids with potential that I was keeping my eye on. I kept those files to myself. Nobody has them but me. Not SHIELD, not the President, not the CIA. I want to pull the other files and start gathering the other "Caterpillars". And I want you . . Jessica Drew . . to help me." They gather Phobos, son of Ares, from the Bronx . . a girl names Rodriquez from San Juan . . a boy names JT from Atlanta, the grandson of the original Ghost Rider . . a boy from Hawaii who is the son of Doctor Druid . . and Jerry Sledge, recently released from a jail in Minneapolis. I'm not sure what his powers are. And, now that he has them all gathered in one of his safe-houses, he's decided to start training them. I do have one question, though. Didn't we just find out in New Avengers #40 that Jessica Drew has been replaced by the Skrull Queen, Empress Veranke? And if that's true, what's that mean for the fate of Nick's mission? Or him for that matter? Does he know . . or have suspicions? Well . . it's all moot right now, because we're only being fed bite sized pieces and aren't privy to the whole picture yet. Of course this book is brilliantly written by Brian Bendis, and expertly drawn by Alex Maleev. I know that this Secret Invasion thing is going to engulf the whole Marvel Universe, but I don't want to have to buy all the various appendages. I really would like to stick to my normal list of Marvel titles. But, I'm afraid there may become areas, or points in the story, where I may be lost. However, I'm going to try it and see what happens. I still have a budget you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment