Sunday, May 25, 2008

infinity inc. #9 - DC


I enjoy this book . . and I like these characters, but, for me, this issue raised a few questions. First of all, I'm not sure why, but the flow seemed a little funky to me. I know we have a few things going on here, but it just seemed like we were all over the place. This whole thing with Gerome and his 2 or 3 identities thing has me kind of confused. Then when Erika and Mercy were chasing after this Bogeyman, I don't quite understand where Erika got all of her strength from. Mercy ends up beating him by poking him in the eye, and then follows him as he returns home. I'm not sure how this Doctor Fogel character works in to the whole thing. He's come to the hospital to check up on the injured girl, but he really seems to have a hard-on for the kids from the Everyman Project. Anyways, Mercy follows Billy back to his home where she sees him looking at an old newspaper article about his father. It appears he was the Bogeyman of Albany, before Billy and his mother moved to Little Bend. I also didn't realize that she has photographic memory, or something. She types up the article for John Henry from memory. "It was only 1500 words." So, as the team has figured out, so has the law, that this Billy Molloy is actually the Bogeyman. When they all arrive at his house at the same time, Lucia develops something like light-wings and blows all the officers off their feet. While this also confused me, I did realize that we really have no idea what Lucia's powers are. Well, except that when she becomes emotionally agitated her arms fill up with cuts and blood sprays from them. But, I'm not sure what kind of power that is. Now, if the above blog seems to be all over the place, as far as the story goes . . well that's exactly how the book flowed also. It wasn't very smooth . . or linear. I understand, and I get what happened, but . . I just didn't like the way that it was put together. Peter Milligan did the story and Pete Woods does the art. I'm thrilled to death that we now have a regular creative team, and as I said, I really enjoy these characters. However, I'm still foggy on just what their mission is. What is John Henry trying to accomplish? Is he trying to gather up all the Everyman subjects? He appears to know where they're all at. And when are we going to see some training? They can't just be thrown out in to all these skirmishes without being field tested. The only reason I'm concerned is because this book has such huge potential. I really would hate to see it canceled prematurely just because the readers were confused about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment