Saturday, October 27, 2007

the Spirit #10 - DC


Ok! I get it. I never said I didn't. One of the main purposes of this book in it's early years, was as a place to comment on the relevant issues that affects the country, and the world. To that end it was inspirational and genius. However, we haven't really seen that side of the creative process in this series to date. Either that, or it was so subtle that it slipped by unnoticed. Which to me would indicate that while they do want to express opinions, they don't want to ruffle to many feathers. At least that's how I see it. This issue however, they amped it up a bit. They seem to be commenting on the over-population of news information on our sensory inputs. The problem being, most of them are either frivolous or silly (ex:boob-tube, tv news magazines, etc), specific only to their own agenda, or so worried about ratings that they have to report on fluffed up minutia rather than the real relevant stories because they might lose the watchers attention. Which they have down to an exact science of how many seconds they can maintain. To me, that was the point they were trying to get across this issue. It seems like they shoved an awful lot in to one issue. And the ending seemed like something they pulled out of there ass. But . . overall . . I have to applaud them for their effort. Will it make a bit of difference? Probably not. But, the only losers in this world are the one's that don't try. If I see a bit more of this in future issues . . I may stick around for a while. On another positive note, that's a fantastic cover. The best one I think to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment