Sunday, March 15, 2009

Supergirl #38 - DC


First of all, I want to say, I thought Jamel Igle turned in a fantastic issue here. The pages looked great and I thought he had some fantastic panels here. Now the story, by Sterling Gates . . . had me a bit confused. We start out with Superwoman beating the crap out of Kara. She's trying to get her to go back to New Krypton, but Kara doesn't want to go. I don't really think that it's that she doesn't want to go, I think she just doesn't want to go right now. But Superwoman is pretty adamant. I don't think she's necessarily trying to corral her for Alura, or anything. I actually think she's trying to protect her. The question is . . what is she protecting her from? The UN just issued their decree saying that all Kryptonians are banned from Earth . . except Superman. So that might be it. But . . I think there's more to it. We know that secretly she's working for General Lane . . or maybe Luthor. So I'm thinking that she's trying to protect her from them. If they're monitoring her she can't tell Kara why she wants her to leave. But then . . out of the blue she's ordered to cut off all contact and retrieve Reactron. Which she does. So obviously they've got her on a pretty tight leash. There's also something going on with Agent Liberty. The police are trying to get his suit off so they can download his previous actions from it, but then the Government steps in and demands the return of his body. They're trying to cover something up. And Cat gets an odd package at her desk. But really, the whole issue boils down to the confrontation between Superwoman and Reactron. He doesn't like being corralled like a stray dog so he whips out some gold Kryptonite on her. To his surprise . . it has no effect. As she's choking him, she says . . "Why Reactron . . whoever said I was Kryptonian?" That's an interesting clue. And it opens a whole slew of new possibilities. Overall, I liked the story. It just left me with a few questions. Which hopefully, we'll get some of the answers to next issue. I'm glad this book is doing well. I like this character. I hope this run lasts longer than the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment