Monday, March 23, 2009

the Mighty Avengers #22 - Marvel


To me, this issue definitely didn't sit the same with me as the issue I just read . . Avengers #50. First of all, I think this is a pretty motley cast of characters assembled here. Yes the Scarlet Witch seems to be back, but . . the Vision and Stature? They're from the Young Avengers. And then . . Hercules, Jarvis, US Agent, Amadeus Cho? Topped off by Hank Pym and Jocasta? I'm not sure that these guys could beat anybody. Tony, in his Iron Man armor and the Hulk also show up, but . . I think they're there more of circumstance than anything else. Mordred has returned. He's obtained the Book of the Darkhold and is set on returning Chthon to this plane. But he needs a vessel. That's where Quicksilver comes in. But, even after that's done, Quicksilver isn't completely out of it yet. We find out near the end of the story that when Chthon took over Pietro's form, Pietro ended up in the book. Mordred kept Bova alive, I think as a slave, but she's got the book and is communicating with Pietro through it. And that, basically, is the gist of the story. Chthon is trying to spread a chaos wave across the globe, and the Scarlet Witch is trying to stop him. So, she's manipulating this cast of b-list characters to do her bidding. Which they suspect, but . . they have to save the world. Right? Dan Slott writes this one with Khoi Pham on pencils. To me it definitely wasn't one of the best issues I've read to date. And with this line-up . . I feel like this book may be on it's last leg. I could be wrong, but . . sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment