Thursday, November 27, 2008

the Boys #24 - Dynamite Entertainment


This was another great installment in this fantastic book. Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson really seem to love what they're doing on this one. This time, at the bequest of their CIA handler Rayner, they're going after the G-Men. Actually, I'm not entirely sure that's right . . it seems that this time their goal is just to plant some bugs and, in the future, gather some more intel into their escapades. However, as is usually the case with the Boys . . things seldom seem to unfold as originally planned. Also, with this story-line, it seems that all of the Boys characters . . Butcher, Hughie, MM, Frenchie and the Female . . are all going to be taking part in the proceedings in one way or another. Obviously they've all been in every issue, but . . most of the time their individual use is diminished, or at least not focused on as much as Butcher's or Hughie's. Hughie, who has infiltrated the G-Men as Bagpipe . . I'm not sure what his talents would be . . he's starting to feel that he's at a Fraternity more so than a group of 'supers'. At one point they do a prank call to the Seven and Hughie actually talks to Annie by accident. Luckily neither of them immediately recognize the other. But that introduction is coming pretty soon . . I have a feeling. I have to say . . as corny as it sounds . . this book is a bright spot in my reading schedule every month. I love the way it's written. I love the way it's drawn. And I love the artistic license it takes with the 'super' genre, and the irony that Garth infuses the stories with. I stand by my statement that month after month this continues to be the best, and most relevant, book on the stands. Congratulations to all involved for their skewed masterpiece here. It's definitely deserving of all of it's praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment