Friday, November 09, 2007

Hellblazer #237 - Vertigo


This book is the perfect example of the difference between a story that being dragged out for revenues sake . . . to sell more books . . . or a story that is a bit longer, but is done so out of necessity. First of all, I have to say that I'm a huge fan of Andy Diggle's. He's a fantastic writer and he's perfect for this series. We're in chapter four of our story, and what I like about Andy's writing is that we discover more and more information every issue. Unlike some story arcs this book is set up so that if you miss an issue, or skip one, chances are you've missed out on some serious information that you're going to need later on. I recently read 6 part books, that you could take 1 or 2 books right out of the middle, and it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the overall story. Not so here. Every issue is packed with information, insight and intrigue. On top of that, Leonardo Manco, the artist, is turning in some of his best work to date. Genuinely breathtaking. As well as the Lee Bermejo cover. The only problem I had reading this was, as I was trying to read, I starting thinking about what I would do if I could pass my consciousness from body to body, as does the protagonist in this story. My imagination started going so much it actually distracted my from the reading. And I think, a book that can spark that type of imagination, is definitely doing something right. I think Andy's found the perfect home. Now I just hope he stays here for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment