Thursday, September 13, 2007

the Spirit #9 - DC


With this book . . I start out apologizing again. But I'm sorry. I just don't like this book. The first time I read this issue, I was so bored, I could hardly keep my eyes open. So I waited a couple of days, and tried to read it again. You know what? It didn't get any better. I know this book should . . I guess . . give us a feeling of nostalgia. But . . to me . . it just acts like a sleeping pill. So I guess it does give me euphoria. I mean, I guess I'll give props to the artwork. It's got the old type of feel to it. So I guess they've accomplished the overall feel for the book that they wanted. But . . it's just not my cup of tea. And this issue, this El Morte, who is actually Alvarro Mortez . . he's a stretch. Ok, he came back from the dead, much in the same way Denny did. But, he's got this hard on to kill him, because since he came back different his life is ruined. Hello? I think if you come back from the dead . . . you probably don't have much of your old life left anyways. And if you do . . you probably don't fit in it anymore. And it's clear as mud that the actual culprit in this story is his mother. She tried to keep him alive, and used some voodoo, or whatever, to bring him back. But since she's a novice, or apprentice, she probably messed up the spell and the result is his current condition. But even if he knew that, he probably wouldn't accept it. Most of this issue was concerned with setting up his origins and motivations. Long story short . . . who cares? He's just another lame villain in a lame book. So . . . I guess . . . . he fits. And on top of all of that . . the story carries on to next issue. Please . . . just let it end.

No comments:

Post a Comment