Sunday, May 28, 2006

Sensational Spider-Man #26 - Marvel

First let me say that I really enjoy Clayton Crain's artwork. I first noticed him on the first Ghost Rider Mini Series that he did. But, he has definitely improved over the course of time. I've always been a big Spider-Man fan. I really like how real the character of Peter Parker feels. He best displays that angst that Marvel tried to build in to it's character development in the late 60's to early 70's. To me he is one of most real characters out there. I feel like when most companies were developing this huge cast of characters around all of it's most popular characters, that Marvel was spending more time developing the emotions, concerns, anxieties, stess, etc of this one specific characters. Don't get me wrong, Spider-Man has a great supporting cast of characters. But I don't feel like any of them were forced. They just kind of developed as they developed over the years. I may be wrong, again it's just my opinion, but to me that's how the character and stories of Spider-man feel to me. Anyways, this specific book, has a couple of things going on. First they're developing the story of his new suit and it's many new attributes. Second, they're gradually, very gradually, moving the story along about the changes to Peter since his "re-birth". This part of the story I feel could move along a little faster than it has. Then there is the story where all the animal based characters (Spider-man, Black Cat, Puma, Vulture, Lizard, Man Wolf) are all being affected on a primal level. Have you ever thought about just how many of Spider-man's rogues are animal based? Rhino, Dr Octopus, Vermin, plus the one's I previously mentioned. Anyways, that's the 3 basic sub-plots going on. I haven't heard of this writer before, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, but in the 4 issues he's been on the book, I feel like he's definitely digging his claws in. Also, this one doesn't have the annoying recap page. YAY!!!!!! That and the Clayton Crain artwork make this a must have book. And, if you can, I would definitely go back to 4 issues to the title change. They're definitely trying to breathe some excitement into this book. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment