Sunday, May 28, 2006

New Avengers #19 - Marvel

First let me say that Brian Michael Bendis is arguably one of the best writers in the medium right now. The various levels of the stories that he creates really pull the readers in and get them thinking. Really the only negative comment I have on this book, and it's on the part of Marvel itself, not any of the creators. This recap page in the beginning has got to go!! I understand what they're trying to do. They're trying to make it that someone can come along at any time, pick up the title, and with the recap page be caught up and into the story. Ok, whatever. First of all the story is awesome. The way Bendis writes, within 2 or 3 pages you're immediately back into the story. Without reading the recap. Again I understand what their intentions are, but they're also unintentionally telling the reader that they don't think they're smart enough to remember what happened and get back into the story. And that insults me. Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but it's something they've been doing for a year or so now, in all their books, and it really disturbs me. But, that's me. Now, more importantly, the story is fantastic. The character interaction is superb. The different character personalities are always exhibited, no matter what is going on in the story. And Mike Deodato Jr's artwork is incredible. The cover I just thought was average, but the interior work is definitely worth the price of admission. I almost feel like the artwork is overkill, except that I love it so much. I mean, the story is so great, the flow from panel to panel and book to book is flawless, and the subplots are intersting. I would buy the book if Donald Duck was drawing it. But the whole package altogether, is definitely worth the $3. I don't even want to get started on comic book pricing, but they're running a business just like anyone else. You gotta make money to keep the talent happy. If you haven't picked up this book before, it would definity be worth the effort to try to get the first 18 issues. Plenty of people have them for sale on E-Bay. There is a character for everyone in this series. Spider-man, Captain America, Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Iron Man, the Sentinel (marvel's version of Superman), Luke Cage, and Sheild as a co-conspiritor both on the "good" side and questionable side. Add Bendis and Deodato to that, and you definity have a fun book to read. On a side note, I would be willing to bet that you don't see Deodato on this book much past issue 25, maybe 30. Bendis will be around for a while, but like I said before, the artwork really is overkill, so I'm betting that Deodato will be moved to a less popular title. But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment