Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kato Origins #1 - Dynamite Entertainment

This book was ok. But as far as Kato's origin goes . . after reading this issue, I don't feel like we got a whole lot of information. Basically, this issue was set up like a crime drama. Kato runs across the murder of a Korean man. Since this story is set up in 1942, there's a lot of profiling being done towards Asian-Americans. Kato is Japanese. However, since Pearl Harbor happened only a year ago . . he's letting people believe that he's Korean. He's not happy about it, but . . it's a necessary evil right now. Anyways, he's witness to a lot of prejudicial feelings, and even more appalled that the murder of this man is being left on the street like a stray dog because of his skin color. But he knows that this is a message for him because this is a Korean man with Japanese Kanji scripted on the wall of the alley in his own blood. It says "Coward". And that's pretty much the gist of the book. As far as Kato's background goes, we learn that he was in the Japanese army, and . . we learn about Japanese card games. I'm not sure of the relevance, but . . maybe it'll become clearer in the second issue. Jai Nitz writes it, with Colton Worley doing the art. Of the three Green Hornet series that have been released so far, I'd have to say that this is my least favorite. It just didn't do anything for me. I don't know. I'll probably pick up the second issue, just to see if maybe I missed something, but . . I'm not holding to high of expectations for it. I'll be open-minded. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment