Sunday, January 04, 2009

the X Files #2 - WildStorm


This was an ok issue. The best part about it, as with the episodes in the original series, was the ending. It always ends differently than what you expected, but . . after seeing it, you think 'Oh yeah! Of course! That makes sense.' But somehow they get you thinking in a different direction through the story. I think Frank Spotnitz does a good job with his stories. And, I think Brian Denham does a good job of giving this book almost the exact same feel as the TV series. He really draws these characters spot-on. However, as much as I loved the TV series, I have to stick with my hypothesis that this series . . these characters . . are just to dated. Like I said the last time, what they did here was cutting edge . . an unadulterated psychological thriller. It pushed what was allowed on TV, and the story-lines to the limit. However, in the time since . . 10 years or so . . things have been pushed even farther. There's a new edge and unfortunately these stories no longer come near it. I mean, watch an episode of Fringe, or 11th Hour, or even Criminal Minds . . and then come back and watch an episode of the X-Files. First of all, it's immediately apparent how dated the series is, and secondly . . the story-lines just don't really hold up anymore. Yes they're still good, and interesting, but . . they're just not as exciting as I remember them. This issue, and last, we're dealing with a pharmacutical company that appears to be making some kind of extremely powerful hallucinogen. They dose Mulder, but they get him treated in time. The 2 scientists for the company? Not so lucky. And the person they think is going to help them by testifying in the Senate appropriations meeting ends up dead. So Mulder says he'll testify, because he's all about taking down the 'big guy'. But it ends up . . he played right into their hands. "They believed me Scully. That's the problem. They want this weapon, Scully. Everything I said . . just proved to them it really works." Like I said, it was interesting, but . . yippee. By the way, this is a 6 issue series. I just found that out. It's billed as 5 issues, but . . since there's an issue #0 . . that's 6. I just wanted to get it straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment