Saturday, July 12, 2008

Justice League of America #22 - DC

All I can say after this issue is . . WOW! I have to say, I had my misgivings about Dwayne McDuffie taking over the writing chores on this series. I wasn't really anything against him. He's done some great work for Marvel, but . . it was Marvel. Marvel and DC, I think, have a different approach to their story-telling. I think, DC personalizes their characters a lot more. It's more about the character development than necessarily the powers or the action. That's not to say they don't have their share of that, but, on the other hand, I feel that Marvel is intrinsically the opposite . . more powers and action. There is character development, obviously, but that's not the focus. However, in recent years I do feel that Marvel has been shifting that the other way. Anyways, that's my thinking, but it's not really where my worry originated. My worry came from following Brad Meltzer's fantastic first 12 issues. My worry was that the progress this book, and this team, had made would be lost in the transition. Without Brad's vision, how could the book possibly remain the steaming locomotive that it had become? Well with this issue, I finally see that my worries were needless. There's some great story-lines going on in this title right now. We got the whole thing about Red Tornado, his new body, and with this issue the reemergence of Amazo. Also there's the whole thing with Roy and Kendra that's been going on for months, but eventually is going to have to come to a head. Then there's the story with Mari's powers and how they seem to be in flux. I really think her and Animal Man need to get together and try to figure this out. But he's been pretty busy lately. But the part that really convinced me that this book was still on track, and still headed for greatness? It was the scene when Dinah, in front of the whole rest of the team, and much to there protest, listens to Mari's confession and admittance of guilt. She sympathizes with her, but for the good of the team . . fires her anyways. Dinah really had a Batman type quality to her actions this issue, and I think it was fantastic. This just proves that she's the perfect choice for team-leader. And of course Ed Benes turned in another incredible job on the pencils this issue. This guy is really, really good. I think he's turned in some of his best stuff ever on this series. A fantastic job by all involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment